[mythtv-users] browse/review all recording rules

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 20:46:30 UTC 2007

On 02/10/2007, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/2007 12:50 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> > Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> says:
> >
> >> There's also a way to look at rules on the front end.  It's under
> >> Manage Recordings->Set Priorities (at least in the SVN menu
> >> structure), which will list all your recording rules so you can modify
> >> them.
> >>
> > I've always thought this menu entry out to be renamed, to "Recording
> > Rules" or, perhaps, "Recording Schedules" a la MythWeb. "Set
> > Priorities" is a misleading label because the main purpose of the
> > entry is to delete/edit recording rules and adjusting their priorities
> > is only part of the larger task.
>
> Who says the main purpose isn't to set priorities and deleting/editing
> recording rules isn't just an additional option you have?  :)
>
> I'll agree if you say, "The main /use/ of the entry in my house is to
> delete/edit recording rules and adjusting their priorities is only part
> of the larger task."

I agree with Yeechang on this one. MythTV can have a
counter-intuittive UI at times, especially for new users.

I think editing* a recording schedule's priority is a subset of
editing the recording schedule itself. Changing start/stop times/dupe
detection is another subset of this. The fact you can edit many/all
aspects of the recording schedules via the 'Set Priorities' interface
is, IMO, obscured by the menu entry and it is not clear to the new
user exactly what the menu option will "also" let you set.

* I use the term editing to refer to any changes made to a schedule's
entry in mythconverg.record

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: