[mythtv-users] comments on hardware for a combined frontend/backend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 2 19:29:55 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:15 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> How many people have you ever heard complain that their CPU was too
>> fast?
>
> Usually they phrase it as, "Man, that CPU fan sure is noisy!"

That's why Myth allows you to put the B/E in the garage or the basement.

Noise can be controlled, but it costs $$$ to do so.

> I remember the first 3.0 GHz P4 box I ever bought.  It sounded like a
> jet engine.

Probably not as loud as a Sun 1GB full-sized (5-1/4") external HDD I
once had.

Right now I'm setting up a Dell PowerEdge 4400 in my garage. I'm running
in "reduced noise" mode and it seems to be drowning out the C-130s that
fly over my house.

(But I got it for $50 with the hardware RAID controller, 2.5GB of
registered ECC RAM, DLT tape, dual CPUs, triple power supplies and rack
mounts. Just cost me $18 for a new fan. Love those surplus dealers)

beww