[mythtv-users] How to automatically copy recordings from slave to master backend?

Tony Baca cfr131 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:35:20 UTC 2007

On 10/2/07, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:

> The setup:
>
> Computer in basement with master backend, HD tuner card.
> Computer in family room with frontend and slave backend, and analog
> tuner card (PVR-500).  This card also gets s-video from the STB, which
> is why the card has to be in the frontend rather than in the master
> backend.
> The master backend video directory is nfs mounted on the frontend/slave.
>
> The problems:
>
> 1. When the slave backend is recording, the remote stops working for
> the duration of the record.
> 2. Trying to play a slave backend recording while it is still in
> progress does not work.
>
> I believe both of these problems are due to insufficient resources.
> In 1, the homebrew serial port ir sensors interrupts aren't getting
> serviced, and in 2, it can't handle the network transfer of the
> program going on in two directions at once (being written to the MBE's
> drive over the network, at the same time it is being read over the
> network for playback).
>
> The solution?:
>
> I'm thinking that since the frontend machine doesn't have a huge
> drive, it can probably hold whatever I want to record in any given
> day, but not much more than that.  So stop NFS mounting the MBE's
> drive and record locally.  Then run a job in the middle of the night
> that copies all the local recordings to the MBE and adjusts the
> database accordingly.
>
> I probably want some post-record job that updates a table of "things
> to be copied" so it doesn't try to copy anything that's still being
> recorded.
>
> Updating a list of programs to copy, easy.  Having a cron job to do
> the copy, easy.  Updating database - ???.  I see I'd probably have to
> change the hostname field in the recorded table for each copied
> program.  What else would I need to update?
>
> -Jerry

Jerry,

I have a VERY similar setup as you, right down to the homebrew IR receiver.
I was have the same exact problems as you were.  See:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/289953?search_string=recording%20slows%20down%20IR;#289953
Word was it was a problem with the IVTV drivers spending too much time in
its interrupt section.  I was running Mythdora 4.0 and tried to update the
IVTV but could not get it to work.  A few weeks ago I loaded KnoppMyth on
the slave/front end and all the problems went away.

My FE/SB is a 2.8 P4 with a 6200 Nvidia.  It will play an HD recording,
while recording a sat program via the 150 and an HD program via he PCHDTV550
and only uses 70% cpu that is without XVMC. I tested watching TV and that
works, but I didn't test it for any length of tima as I don't use that
feature much.    The Master backend has a second 5500 card and lots of
storage, but it seems that it is never enough storage :)