[mythtv-users] [UK Question] Fed up with Sky!

Andy Scott tv at andelscott.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 16:14:48 UTC 2007

In message <mailman.7585.1191339612.4455.mythtv-users at mythtv.org>,
mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org writes

>Just one thing to note. When you are reading about FreeSat (the
>satellite equivalent of Freeview) there in fact two FreeSats.
>
>FreeSat is a trade mark of one of the group behind Freeview (BBC, ITV,
>Channel5 and Five). They are planning to launch a service very much
>like Freeview on satellite, with all the consumer friendly info that
>Freeview currently has. In reality its the Free To Air satellite
>channels, just neatly packaged. The technology is the same. Not sure
>what will happen with Channel 4 / Five.

My (limited) understanding was that the "Freesat" offering is
essentially just the EPG to bring the existing Free-to-Air channels
together as a consumer offering.  I presume that all relevant channels
are currently being rebroadcast from the satellite?

I'm not surprised that Sky would want to sell a 'subscription free'
service for the very reasons you mentioned.  Presumably Channel 4/5
would have to ditch encryption - if they're even still using it.

Be nice to see mythtv-friendly Sat tuners coming down in price....
--
Andy