[mythtv-users] comments on hardware for a combined frontend/backend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 2 02:15:43 UTC 2007

matt lutz wrote:

> heh.  Sorry, I suppose I should have said this right off the bat.  I
> have an Avermedia doing analog capture, and an HD Homerun recording HD.
> The reasoning behind the CPU was that I transcode a decent amount of HD
> down to 720x480 to play back on some SD frontends.  But it seems that
> just about everyone thinks it is still too much, so I'm currently
> rethinking that.

How many people have you ever heard complain that their CPU was too
fast? How many that it was too slow?

If you can afford it go for it!

> Anyone have comments on the differences between the Opteron line and the
> X2 line?

They're certainly getting closer to each other, you really have to look
at what cores and how much cache a given unit has. The "name" is
marketing, not engineering.

Opterons have generally been made for and/or used by mobos that are
designed for more than one CPU socket, the X2s are generally for
single-CPU boards. There have been exceptions, the Opteron 165 was
socket 939 I think.

You might get a better warranty on the Opteron as well.

beww