[mythtv-users] comments on hardware for a combined frontend/backend

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:42:51 UTC 2007

In my opinion, the hardware is overkill.  I would focus on stability, not
power because you will have to run the system 24/7.  Also consider the cost
of running a powerful machine for all that time.    I have a trusty old VIA
KT 400 motherboard running 4 tuners and a couple of PATA drives with an
Athlon XP 2400 and 786 MB memory.  It does the job and other things as well
(Asterisk, IP masq, qmail, nagios, vncserver, snort, spamassassin, clamav,
mysql, ntp, httpd, etc) but I only record in SD.   It functions as a
frontend as well hooked up to a Slingbox for offsite mythtv access.   I have
a trusty old 1Ghz PIII on an Abit VH6 2 ( with leaky capacitors ) doing a
nice job for a frontend in the living room ( I have to let it sit at the
grub screen for 5 minutes, presumably for voltages to stabilize before
booting into linux, otherwise it just reboots 3 or 4 times before presenting
mythfrontend); a Dell with a Celeron D in another and a Medion laptop for a
mobile frontend wirelessly.  Myth doesn't need all that firepower, I think
unless you are recording HD.