[mythtv-users] Got my Firewire tuner back!

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 01:13:45 UTC 2007

Bob Sully wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Bob Sully wrote:
>>

>>> I'm now running two pcHDTV 5500s, each with QAM and analog, plus the
>>> S-video input from the STB (the only way I can record HBO, MTV-HD,
>>> etc.),
>>> now also with firewire, for a total of 6 separate tuners.  Now, if I
>>> could
>>> only get lirc working right and figure out how to set up a playlist on
>>> MythMusic (it's NOT intuitive at all - better yet, figure out how to
>>> call
>>> Amarok from within Myth, as has already been discussed) - I'll be in DVR
>>> Nirvana.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I have a very similar setup to you (1 pcHDTV 5500, a Motorola DCT3412
>> STB from Comcast), and was wondering how you got the Firewire going and
>> the analog on the pcHDTV.  I just got most of my QAM channels mapped
>> over (once I understood how the XMLTVID stuff worked), and I can't seem
>> to figure out why I can't see any of the analog channels.  I haven't
>> even BEGUN to worry about the Firewire yet, but that's on the list. :-)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any information.
>> Harry
>>

> Harry:
>
> For the Firewire port, you need to set it up as a separate capture card.
> Also, make sure that you have the plugreport and plugctl utilities to test
> and enable the firewire input port of your Myth box.  I have a DCT6200
> STB, which works well with these, and a script to change channels on the
> STB (I use 6200ch, but I'm not sure which one works with the 3412).
>
> To get the analog channels on the pcHDTV 5500, you need to set up a
> separate video source for them (I actually have three: one source for
> analog (2-98), one for the in-the-clear QAM channels (approximately 35 or
> 40 total), and one that includes the full set of all provided channels).
>
> When you set up the pcHDTV as a capture card, make sure you choose the DVB
> option and make sure that you set up the "analog options" correctly.  Then
> go to the video sources setup and fetch the lists of channels from the
> source.  If you're using Schedules Direct, go to the FAQ on their web site
> and look for the section on how to set up multiple sources from the same
> SD account - I followed their directions, and it worked fine.  Then do
> your channel scan for both the DVB (QAM) side (sounds like you've already
> done that) and the analog side.  You then should be good to go.
>
> I found this really confusing last year when I first set this card up,
> too.  But once I got it working, it's been fine since.
>
> HTH
> Bob

Sorry, forgot to add the following about the Firewire.  Here's what
plugreport shows for my Firewire connection:

*Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x00159afffe163f4a
------------------------------
oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
    channel=63, data_rate=1, overhead_id=0, payload=376
iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

Node 1 GUID 0x0000d100801965fc
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

Host Adapter 1
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x0011d80000757c73
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
*
My firewire card has 3 connections on it, and I only have one connected
(to the Comcast DCT3412 STB, obviously).  Does this look OK?  I have a
tuner setup to this input using my Digital lineup, but I don't know how
to go about using it in addition to my pcHDTV 5500 card.

Thanks,
Harry