[mythtv-users] Confused About HDHomeRun

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 1 22:44:51 UTC 2007

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> On 10/1/2007 1:34 PM David George said the following:
>> On 10/01/2007 03:49 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>
>>> I have a MythTV box running .20.2 on Gentoo.  It has one PVR-250 and one
>>> pcHDTV 3000 card.  I have two lineups on SchedulesDirect, one for
>>> DirecTV and one for the antenna.  The DirecTV lineup is the video source
>>> attached to the S-Video input on the PVR-250 and the antenna lineup is
>>> the video source for the pcHDTV .
>>>
>>> Now I have added a HDHomeRun to my network.  I added the HDHR as two
>>> separate capture cards in mythtv-setup and they show up as additional
>>> tuners in the status page.  I used the same antenna lineup for both HDHR
>>> tuners as I use for the pcHDTV card.
>>>
>>> So now I expect to see most conflicts resolved in my upcoming recordings
>>> as I now have 3 HDTV tuners but this is not the case.  MythTV is not
>>> using any of my HDTV tuners for recording, only the PVR-250.  I'm at a
>>> loss as to what I've missed.  Both tuners were working fine before.  Do
>>> I need a separate lineup for each tuner?  That doesn't seem right to
>>> me...  Any ideas on what I can check to resolve this?  I was hoping to
>>> resolve some conflicts before prime time tonight.  :)
>>>

>> Try a 'mythbackend --resched' on your backend.  Sometimes I am not
>> patient enough after adding a card for a reschedule to happen, so the
>> --resched will force it right away.  And yes, do this while the backend
>> is running.
>>

> I tried but no joy.  Although now that I've scrolled down a bit in
> Mythweb, I see that the scheduler is using one of my HDHR inputs
> sometimes but not nearly as often as it could.  Here are my current cards:
>
> cardid   cardtype          dbox2_port
>  8       MPEG              31338
>  9       HDTV              31338
> 10       HDHOMERUN             0
> 11       HDHOMERUN             1
>
> Cardid 8 is the PVR-250 and is connected to a DirecTV tuner box via
> S-Video.  Cardid 9 is the pcHDTV 3000 and cardid 10 & 11 are the HDHR.
> All three of these tuners are connected to an OTA antenna and a
> corresponding lineup that only includes the digital channels they can
> receive.  All card priorities are set at 0.  I have a +2 priority set
> for HD programming.  Thus in this configuration, I expect that HD
> content will record first on the pcHDTV card, then on HDHR port 0, and
> finally on HDHR port 1.  Non HD content would first attempt to use the
> PVR-250 and then follow the previous priority.  And for completeness,
> all DirecTV channels will record only on the PVR-250 (obviously).
>
> But what I am seeing is that in most cases, all content is attempting to
> use cardid 8.  If it is busy, then mythtv marks the show as a conflict.
> For example coming up at 1700 PDT this evening, my local news is
> broadcast both on analog channel 3 and on digital 3_1 in HD.  At the
> same time, Judge Judy is shown on local analog channel 31 and although
> not in HD, it is also broadcast on digital channel 31_1.  This scenario
> [...]

Are you using the pchdtv card in analog mode? You state above 'Judge
Judy on local analog channel 31.....also....digital channel 31_1.

These require completely different tuning setups. You have to think of
OTA analag as the same thing as cable, but with different frequencies. I
don't think OTA analog even touches the dtv_multiplex table.

OTOH, OTA digital is a completely different thing, especially now, when
stations call themselves by their analog channel names but transmit on
different frequencies and even the digital sub-digit (the .1) is not the
actual stream id.....

If that is the case, you  need THREE lineups. analog cable, analog ota
and digital ota.

You seem to be confusing HD with digital. Not all digital is HD. Lots of
it is SD. In fact, in my area, 3 stations broadcast an HD AND an SD
stream, in digital. The latter is for people with old tvs who can't
display HD.

Geoff