[mythtv-users] comments on hardware for a combined frontend/backend

Todd mythtv at vbref.org
Mon Oct 1 21:04:18 UTC 2007

"matt lutz" <myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com> writes:

> If you have the time, can you please comment on my proposed
> frontend/backend?  I've recently run VGA & optical cabling from my basement
> to my living room, so I can use my backend as a frontend as well.  It
> removes a box to update, and any sound at all in my living room.
>
> Anyway, here goes:
>
> Motherboard - ASUS M2N-E
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131022

That's what my box is based on.

> CPU - AMD Athlon 6000+
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Wow that's a lot of CPU.  Mine's using an AMD A64 3500+

> Memory - G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

That's twice what I have.

> Video Card - nvidia 6200LE
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814121019

Quite a bit better than my Geforce fx5200 based card.  They have linux
drivers for it?   I wouldn't advise using stock open source drivers
based on my lousy experience with this nvidia card before I used
nvidia's drivers.

> Hard Drive - WD SATA2 500GB
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136143

Bigger and faster than what I have.

> Can anyone see any issues with this hardware?

In my recent experence (standard definition video, fwiw), it'll be
more than fine so long as you use nvidia's drivers.

Whatcha usin for capture?