[mythtv-users] HD deinterlacing

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 17:50:12 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/1/07, Phil Vid <phil.vid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Using bob, it feels like the video is slightly sped up at times. When
> > there is no motion, it seems fine but then when a scene change occurs
> > it seems like things speed up slightly even though the audio sounds
> > fine.
>
> I've been using bob for quite some time with my RP CRT TV.  Since my X
> is outputting 1080i doing so required the unsupported change described
> here:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/285404#285404
>
> Only recently I started noticing the slight speed-up of video like
> you're describing, though it seemed in my case to be specific to NBC
> HD broadcasts.  Just as you describe, the video would speed up
> temporarily without disturbing the audio.  In some cases it would
> happen when jumping forward or back, as though the specific keyframe
> it was starting from made a difference.  I never used to see this at
> all and it doesn't occur with other deinterlacing methods.  However,
> it appears that I've found a way to correct it.  Today I had an NBC
> recording where I could reproduce this issue.  I tried adding "+hsync
> +vsync" to the end of my mode line and now I have no problems with
> this using bob.

Did your recording show the correct length?  I've noticed a problem
that I haven't started to track down where recordings (again,
predominantly NBCHD, which is why I asked) have periodic burst of
faster motion.  The length of the show itself shows as being shorter
than it should be, though.  For example, an hour long show may show as
being 53 minutes long and when watching it, there's occasional bursts
of slightly sped up video.  It's not particularly annoying to me, so I
haven't really started figuring out what's going on; I watch most
shows at 1:1.15 anyway.

Ryan