[mythtv-users] usage, myth + mac environment + mac ignorance

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Oct 1 17:07:50 UTC 2007

>> > Wireless network is in place, so what's the best way to provide
>> > access to
>> > myth's storage areas from the mac?
>>
>> The best way is to run the frontend natively on the Mac so they have
>> access to all the features the frontend provides.

    Yeah... but MythTV is a sort of "take over your desktop/machine"
sort of app. So what does it really matter what OS you're running
underneath when you're running MythTV?

    I would expect that things like driver support, library support
& the maturity of the relevant code (mythfrontend/mythbackend) would
all be more important.

> The native Mac frontend is way cool, but you can also use samba from a Mac
> if you like (for instance, to load files if she were to be traveling or
> otherwise unable to access the backend). The shortcut key is
> command/apple-K, and then use cifs://servername/sharename to get a login
> prompt. Then play files with VLC or equivalent.

    No nfs? Bummer...