[mythtv-users] mythtv-vid opengl and new nvidia card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 1 17:02:30 UTC 2007

On 10/01/2007 12:21 PM, gad at jetcom.org wrote:
> Now that the mythtv-vid branch is in trunk, I'm interested in using
> the opengl renderer. This seems to fix a problem that I've had for a
> long time with my 16:10 display and interlacing/tearing. However my
> fx5200 doesn't have the ooomph to render the HD realtime.
>
> Being that 7xxx or 8xxx series nvidia cards can be obtained for less
> than $100, it seems to make sense to pick up one of these newer cards
> to replace the aging 5200.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations on which class/card?  Obviously I
> don't intend to spend $500 here, or get something too hot, bulky.
>
> Does anyone use the opengl renderer with HD streams?  What kind of
> horsepower does it require?
> Does the opengl renderer use less cpu processor time? Presummaly it
> would, although sometimes X takes quite a bit for no reason. I'd
> rather utilize my cores for more simultaneous commflagging, rather
> than playback :)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/277331#277331

See, especially the "I'm not aware" part of Daniel's response.  I have a
GF7800GTX, but I haven't yet had time to upgrade since the mythtv-vid
merge (been on the road).  I should be doing an upgrade in the next
couple of days.  When I do, I'll see how mine handles it (I don't expect
it to be able to do 1080i playback--and, especially not at 1.5x :).

Mike