[mythtv-users] mythtv and config_hz

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 1 16:43:12 UTC 2007

wouter lists wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticied that the kernel option CONFIG_HZ is set to 1000 in the
> default kernel in Fedora and it's set to 250 in Debian and Ubuntu. I
> haven't checked other distributions.
>
> Does this have an effect on the recording and playback possibilities of mythtv?
>
> I have a Pentium 4 with HT (x86_64) and a PVR-500.
>
> Regards,

I made a comment about this yesterday. I just did a search of the myth
list archive (CONFIG_HZ) and one post referred to a kernel list. A
change was apparently committed to the 2.6.20 kernel to allow CONFIG_HZ
300. The reason was:

300Hz support. It is useful to have 300Hz support when doing multimedia
work: 250 is fine for us in Europe but the US frame rate is 30fps (29.99
blah for pedants). 300 gives us a tick divisible by both 25 and 30, and
for interlace work 50 and 60. It's also giving similar performance to 250Hz

Other posts reported that this made HD display 'butter smooth'......

YMMV. But I suspect I may try this tweak..

Geoff