[mythtv-users] Myth on a Laptop

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 1 15:20:58 UTC 2007

Thom Paine wrote:
> I'm using Fedora7.
>
> I want it to use 127.0.0.1 because sometimes I may plug into the
> network and grab an IP from a dhcp server and sometimes I won't. I
> thought using the loopback would be the way to go. I don't want to
> access the computer from anywhere else on the lan.

Nope. 127.0.0.1 always refers to the machine you are running on.

To talk to another machine, on the same lan or on another continent you
must use the IP of that machine's network interface (or some router or
gateway that knows how to get to that machine).

Trying to talk to 127.0.0.1 will not get you outside the bowels of that
machine.

beww