[mythtv-users] Myth on a Laptop

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 1 15:11:12 UTC 2007

Thom Paine wrote:
> I am setting up mythtv to use on my laptop so that I can import shows
> I've recorded and videos I have to take with me when I travel.
>
> I have myth all set up, but I cannot connect to the master backend on
> ip 127.0.0.1. I don't have any tuner cards, and don't need any, I just
> want to be able to take what I have on my home system with me
> periodically.

127.0.0.1 is not a "real" address, it refers to the loopback, or in
other words the machine you are running on.

You can use that address if the F/E and B/E are on the same machine, but
to use it on your laptop you are basically asking it to talk to itself,
where it is not finding a backend.

You need to use the "real" IP of the backend, and make sure that address
is set up that way on your backend machine.

ifconfig at a prompt on the B/E will tell you what the internet address
is, if you have a single ethernet interface it will likely be eth0.

Also, if your B/E is getting its IP from a DHCP server you either have
to make sure the serve assigns the same address all the time (you can do
this based on MAC address) or, if your DHCP server doesn't allow this
flexibility you should just assign a static IP to the B/E.

beww