[mythtv-users] How can I completely remove lirc?

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 1 14:50:10 UTC 2007

Damian wrote:
> I 'think' that my current lirc setup is interfering with my wireless
> keyboard. This may not be possible and is could just be that one key on
> my keyboard is a bit broken. However, seeing as I can't get my remote
> configured properly anyway, I would like to completely remove all traces
> of lirc and its configuration files to see if it sorts the keyboard out.
> Could someone tell me a thorough way to do this in Ubuntu that will
> leave me in no doubt whether the remote setup is the cause of my problem?
>
> My plan then is to install Mythbuntu on top of my current system (after
> the 7.10 upgrade at the end of the month) and see if the Mythbuntu
> Control Centre can sort out my remote.
>
> Cheers
> Damian

To remove completely
sudo apt-get remove --purge lirc

But I would doubt that this would interfere  with the keyboard.

Check the distance from your wireless keyboard to the receiver, my
Microsoft one will not work well beyond a meter or two and I have to
move the receiver closer to the keyboard.

Regarding Mythbuntu, I understand that its benefit is a replacement of
the operating system (less bloat) as well as more up to date patches.  I
am not sure how this would go on top of your current system.

so
-Alastair