[mythtv-users] Slow myth TV user interface on a fast machine

Todd mythtv at vbref.org
Mon Oct 1 04:20:31 UTC 2007

Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> writes:

> Tony Lill wrote:
> > The problem has to be related to the disks. If I can watch SD on my
> > x-box front-end, your box is grotesquely overpowered wrt CPU and
> > memory.
>
> Are you responding to my message? If so, I can tell you that I'm 100%
> certain my slow UI problem is unrelated to disk performance. It has
> nothing to do with what is or isn't going on with the disks. In
> particular, it's usually when there's no significant disk activity
> because nothing's being recorded or commflagged or anything. IO
> starvation problems would greatly affect playback performance, which is
> not what I'm seeing. I can watch HD shows while one or two commflag
> processes are working in the background.
>
> What varies is whether I have just ended playback or not. Before
> playback, menu navigation is pretty snappy, but afterward, there's a
> constant delay of more than a second moving from one program to the next.

Jonathan,

I missed your original post, but recently I was floored to see what a
difference switching video drivers.  I have an nVidia based card that
was using whatever default ubuntu drivers ubuntu had selected, and
installing the nvidia drivers from the nvidia site made so much of a
difference, I still can't quite believe it.

Dunno if this helps any.