[mythtv-users] LiveTV Fails To Start Because of Recordings? How Do I Resolve?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 30 00:52:00 UTC 2007

On 11/29/2007 07:15 AM, Bruce Perryman wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> (Note the trimmed message and the not-top-posted reply...  Hint, hint.)
>>
>> Just a guess--as you haven't said anything about your location, yet--but
>> based on your e-mail address's ending with "_us", I felt I should
>> mention that if you are setting up a Myth box in the US (or any of North
>> America that's served by Schedules Direct), you should /not/ be doing a
>> channel scan.  Instead you should use "Fetch channels from listings
>> source" (and should not click on "Scan for channels"--i.e. don't do
>> both, use "Fetch" only).
> Well, Mike, thank you for your response. And thanks for the hint! My apologies, again.

No apologies necessary.  Bottom-/inline-posted replies (like this one of
yours--thanks) are so much more pleasing than apologies.  :)

> I haven't 'fetched' only 'scanned'. Is using Schedules Direct a requirement?

Using Schedules Direct is not a requirement.  If you've found another
guide data source, you may use it, instead.  However, if using Schedules
Direct, you should /not/ scan at all.  You should instead fetch, and
mythtv-setup will properly configure all your channels for you (for
analog TV--i.e. with ivtv).  For digital channels, scanning is required
(except for firewire--for which, IIRC, we have no scanner).  So, for US
Schedules Direct users, fetch is for analog TV and scan is for digital TV.

If you're just trying to get things working before you sign up/pay for
Schedules Direct, I'm pretty certain they have a 7-day free trial.  If
you do plan to use Schedules Direct long term, setting up without it is
a waste as you'll really need to start configuration over again once you
get it.

Mike