[mythtv-users] Newbie Issues

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:54:16 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 2:36 PM, Rob Ogle <rogle at css1.net> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> * I'm down with TLA's (or FLA's in this case)...just didn't know what to
> use.
>
> I did try doing a 'sudo su mythtv' and running it that way as well.
>
> According to the screen it downloads the files and puts them in a "temp
> table". It says there are no listings to update.
> So...where does the FE/gui go to get these listings to display? Is it a file
> or db table I can view?
>
> When I originally set it up, I entered the machine's ip address for
> everything rather than the loopback. Could I be having some sort of
> connectivity issue?
> I tried to connect to the box via a FE Live CD and it couldn't contact the
> mysql server.
>
> Rob

Ok, I'm not sure which of these questions have been answered, so I
hope you excuse me I end up down in the weeds.  Since you aren't at
risk of losing anything, you might consider attacking your problem
with extreme prejudice.

First, with a PVR500, you probably don't need to run everything as
root, but if you are, you need to be consistent.  Mythfilldatabase
should not need root, and mythtv-setup shouldn't either.

Start mythtv-setup with the -v database flag.

1) Begin by verifying the IP address and port of the backend.

2) Secondly, remove all capture cards and all video sources.

3) Once removed, add back both /dev/video corresponding to each tuner
on your PVR500, give them a helpful name, you'll be glad you did later
when you try and work out scheduling conflicts.

4) Add your Schedules Direct Line up back in.

5) Assign your line up to each tuner of the PVR500 you are using,
being sure to correctly select the input, tuner for the coax, or
whatever it is if you are using SVideo.  While you are there, Fetch
Lineup from schedules direct and make sure channels show up, and set a
reasonable starting channel.

6) Verify channels appear in your channel editor

7) If you've had any problems, copy and paste the log to us, if
everything is going well, start mythbackend with the -l LOGFILE option

8) Run mythfilldatabase --remove-new-channels --refresh-all

9) If you get more errors, send them to us.

10) Everything may "just work" at this point, if it doesn't, here's a
nitty gritty way of verifying you've got some kind of data

Assuming you used the default name and password for the DB:

mysql -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

mysql > SELECT chanid, starttime, title FROM program;

::Lots of scrolling here, hopefully::

mysql > exit

If you've got data there, but the Frontends don't see it, you've got a
different problem altogether!