[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Ubuntu VS Fedora

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:50:51 UTC 2007

Claude Boucher wrote:
> Matthew Dansereau a écrit :
>
> I run my MythTV system on Fedora (Master backend + combined BE/FE), but
> I have two (mainly) Ubuntu desktops where I run the frontend, so I speak
> with come experience. So, caveat emptor, YMMV, etc.
>
> I find the Fedora support and documentation (the celebrated Jarod
> tutorial at http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php) better than
> what's available with Ubuntu. It goes behind the basics, it gives you
> some tips + a lot of old hands around here come with a RH background. If
> you read a bit, the wiki, this list or even in books, you can answers.
>
> The other advantage to run a Fedora-based system, is the responsiveness
> of the Fedora myth community. It is much better. You can rely on Axel
> Thimm to recompile mythtv-suite for a few people when one small patch is
> critical (for instance, the svn 19418 "Québec" patch, see this thread
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/301475#301475). It
> saved my skin many times. Want it or not, WAF matters. The Ubuntu folks
> do not seem as responsive (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164348).

As a point to comparison here, this was added directly to the 0.20-fixes branch.
 The weekly builds on mythbuntu.org consequently have started to include this
patch as of today.

Unfortunately, the Ubuntu SRU (Stable Release Updates) process only allows for
large scale regressions to be added to the archive.  After discussing this with
some fellow Ubuntu archive maintainers, this isn't seen as a "large" scale issue
that will tend to affect many people. The main basis for this judgement was upon
google analytics visits from Quebec.

Should this crop up to be a larger issue however, an inclusion in the
development version (hardy) and backport to gutsy will be the appropriate solution.

----

Now as for requests for patches to be included in our builds, I would like to
think we have been very responsive to requests.  Little odds and ends that were
requested such as pulse audio and new zealand mheg5 support have been added in
shortly after being requested.

If anyone does happen to have patches they'd like to see in the development
version and/or weekly builds, please feel free to file a bug against mythtv in
ubuntu or mail us at ubuntu-mythtv at lists.ubuntu.com.  We're very open to these
sorts of things.