[mythtv-users] Multiple directories

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Nov 21 17:12:44 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> You know, this is one of the things that I think confuses the heck
>> out of a lot
>> of new Mythtv users. I suppose the reason is that Mythtv came first,
>> and then
>> MythVideo is a plugin with it's own rules which came later.
>>
>> But to most users, a file with video on it is a file with video on it,
>> regardless of it's origins. Is there any specific reason why
>> Mythvideo files
>> shouldn't use the same storage mechanisms as recorded data? OK you'd
>> probably
>> have to set various flags in the database entries differently, but
>> even so. If
>> you have a mechanism for storing and managing video files, why not
>> make use of
>> it? If I had hacked up^W^Wdesigned MythVideo, the existing file
>> management would
>> be one of the first things I would have looked at. Why re-invent the
>> wheel?
>
> Because videos don't expire. Recordings do. The recordings directories
> are meant to stay completely full and expire programs as needed for
> space. This doesn't work for videos since you won't have any room to
> add a video to the recording storage directory.
>
> Also, I don't want to add a video to my system which results in
> expiring a day's worth of programming.

Points taken. But, aren't there one or two recordings you have with the
do-not-expire flag set? (If you had small children you'd have a *lot* more than
two). Similarly, I can think of videos I would want to upload, maybe watch once
or twice, then get rid of. So there's certainly some overlap, in my mind at
least, between the two sets.

Perhaps the introduction of storage groups will help here. If one group is
dedicated to 'things to be kept' it won't get in the way of the usual run of the
mill stuff that gets seen, then goes as the space is needed.

Mike Perkins