[mythtv-users] HELP: No temp tables permissions: SOLVED, not understood

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 20 17:37:38 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007, at 4:24 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> The problem was/is with /tmp. Two questions remain...1) Why putting
>> 'TMPDIR=/tmp/mysql' into my.cnf did NOT cause mysql to put temp files
>> into that directory; and 2) Why mysql would not use /tmp owned by
>> root,
>> but permissioned as 777, but would use it when chowned to mysql:mysql.
>> (Working as the latter makes sense, but not working when /tmp is owned
>> by root does not...).
>>
>> But it IS working now, and I don't care that mysql owns /tmp...
>> This IS
>> a mythbox after all and doesn't have any other users..or uses!.
>
> What happens if you leave /tmp owned by root, but make the /tmp/mysql
> subdirectory owned by MySQL?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. THAT did not work. For whatever reason, putting
  TMPDIR=/tmp/mysql into my.cnf did not cause mysqld to use that
folder..It wanted to use /tmp which was owned by root:root but 777...

Mythfilldatabase/mysql is now working, but I think that it is only doing
so because of 2 things: 1) /tmp is owned by mysql and set 777, and 2) I
started the mysqld process with --user=mysql.

But that does not explain why it would NOT do so, when started as root,
nor why it ignores the /tmp/mysql folder..

Anyone know if it is supposed to be tmpdir= instead of TMPDIR=? Or is it
'tmpdir =' with spaces. I cannot find it in the reference
manual..(Appendix E or F mentions this stuff, but not comprehensively).

Hell. it's working now and uptime is 16 days...mythfilldatabase is happy
so I am happy...

Geoff