[mythtv-users] HELP: No temp tables permissions: SOLVED, not understood

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 19 12:24:00 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/17/2007 12:28 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> I gave the /tmp directory to mysql:mysql from root and set permissions
>> to 777...(yup, brute force!)
>>
>> AND THAT WORKED...
>>
>> Why it would not work as root:root with 777 I have no idea. Why it
>> changed and stopped working from the prior state I have no idea.
>> And the temp directories which are created in /tmp *are owned by root!*.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/installing-binary.html
>
> look at 7 and 8 and the file scripts/mysql_install_db.sh .
>
> I'm also guessing that /tmp needs to be 1777 (not 777) if not owned by
> mysql.
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/problems-with-mysql-sock.html

The problem is not with the /var/lib/mysql directory tree. It is all
owned by mysql as required.

The problem was/is with /tmp. Two questions remain...1) Why putting
'TMPDIR=/tmp/mysql' into my.cnf did NOT cause mysql to put temp files
into that directory; and 2) Why mysql would not use /tmp owned by root,
but permissioned as 777, but would use it when chowned to mysql:mysql.
(Working as the latter makes sense, but not working when /tmp is owned
by root does not...).

But it IS working now, and I don't care that mysql owns /tmp... This IS
a mythbox after all and doesn't have any other users..or uses!.

Geoff