[mythtv-users] DVB not recording

Barry Quiel quielb at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sat Nov 17 05:01:01 UTC 2007

Kevin Bailey wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 04:20:37PM -0800, Barry Quiel wrote:
>> For whatever reason while I was watching Bones, The Unit failed to
>> record.  MythTv seems to think it was recorded.  It creates an entry in
>> the database and I can see it in my list of recorded programs.  But
>> there is no file on the file system.  The backend log show that it
>> started recording the program, but there are no errors indicating that
>> it failed the record.
>
> Odd, that sounds exactly like the problem myself and others
> are having. See the thread started on Oct 30, "pcHDTV HD3000
> stops receiving".
>
> If it's the exact same problem, you would not be able to
> watch TV from that tuner card either. It would say, "0% -
> no lock".
>
> The only thing in common seems to be the use of DVB.
>
> It seems that everyone is fixing it by creating a cronjob
> and reloading the mythbackend and (for me) the cx88-dvb
> kernel module. I do it every morning. I don't know
> what you're going to do if the problem occurs between a
> good recording and a bad one. (It would be nice if myth
> could detect the condition and reload the driver for us.)
>
> I've also heard that the drivers at linuxtv.org are better.
> I'm trying to get those working.
>
> Anyways, it might be helpful in fixing this if you could
> narrow down what is common in your set-up with the stuff
> in that other thread.

I read that thread and unfortunetly there isn't much similarity to
hardware/setup.  The only thing in common is that nothing is being
recorded, and its related to DVB only.  Different version of Myth,
different kernels, different hardware.  My Kworld card uses the saa7133
module which is included in the kernel ( 2.6.20-1.2944 ).  I looked on
linuxtv.org and I didn't see an updated version of that driver.

The thing that is frustrating is that the box has been working fine
since I installed the card in the beginning of September.  The only
thing that has changed since then was the addition of another hard drive.

The only thing I can think of as that disk fills up ( I used about 45%
of the space in that Volume group ) and I get farther out on the plater
IO slows down.  But that doesn't make any sense.

And I really don't want to try and debug the problem because I don't
want to miss any recordings.  I guess I can wait until Tuesday and not
shadow any of my recording and see if it happens again.  So far it only
happens when I shadow a recording, we'll see if that holds true.