Kevin Nelson kevin at soundcyst.com
Fri Nov 16 12:24:39 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 8:19 PM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

> Chris Ribe wrote:

>>> the
>>> TON
>>
>> While I won't argue that I/O is a potential issue, it not THAT big
>> of an
>> issue.  4 HD streams only amount to about 7MB/s of data.   If you
>> have 4 HD
>> tuners, you'll probably want more than one disk for storage, but
>> you could
>> get by with a  single SATA  disk.
>>
>> -chris
>>

> I don't know where everyone got this number of 4 streams.  The OP said
> he was going to have 8 clients and 4 tuners.  That give a possible
> maximum of 12 streams of data (+ 4 depending on how he sets up
> commercial flagging).  Disk I/O will be his major concern. And it's
> not
> total sustained throughput that will be the issue, it'll be all the
> constant seeking that will be the issue...
>
>   - Wade

Hi everybody, thanks for all of the responses.

It's clear to me now that I should have mentioned that I am looking
at the ASUS P5E motherboard with as many SATA hard drives as i can
fit into the case.

The mobo only supports 6 SATA connections, so i'm guessing that I can
only have 6 drives in a RAID configuration via the mobo's native RAID
hardware. Since I am planning on using a Chenbro 3U chassis that has
8 drive bays, I would like to be able to support up to 8 drives in
RAID, so an external card might be necessary.

My conclusion based on your input is that with this many drives (and
the seek time distributed appropriately, a Core2 processor will be
powerful enough to accomplish the task at hand.

Of course, recommendations on a RAID controller or a mobo that
supports 8 SATA drives and is linux / core2 compatible would also be
appreciated,

To clarify -- Wade is correct in assuming that the server will be
dealing with a maximum of 12 streams rather than 4 or 8. Each TV
might be viewing some recorded program (8 streams) while 4 separate
live broadcasts are being recorded. This is a circumstance that the
server must be able to accommodate frequently and efficiently.
(honestly, i'm not sure if my client will frequently use that much
power often, but i am certain he'll push it to that limit at least
once).

Thanks again, as you all have been profoundly helpful.
-kevin