[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:11:04 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 2:42 PM, Calvin Harrigan <charrig_mythtv at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I've been using mythtv on gentoo for years now. No problems at all.
> Ebuilds for new versions are timely and I have the flexibility to
> upgrade/update at will what I need.  I agree that Gentoo is not for
> everyone, but if you try it for a while, you might like it.  Doesn't
> hurt that I use gentoo as my main desktop as well.
>

> Calvin...

I've been running my mythtv system on Gentoo since April, and it's
just great.  I agree Gentoo's not for everyone, so I hesitate to
recommend it for myth to those who aren't already using it because of
the potential learning curve.

Having said that, I find it to be the best of both worlds in that you
are compiling from source, yet there are in fact stable versions.
Better yet, it's easy to make custom ebuilds by copying the existing
ones.  I've done this to add patches/hacks for various bug fixes etc.
Hell...I even managed to patch in the svn feature to allow you to mark
recordings as watched, all while still staying with a stable 0.20.2
version.

Like you, I also use Gentoo for my main desktop as well, and have for
several years.

Tom