[mythtv-users] UK, transports and a relief ... (was About to give up - Avermedia 771 -not sensitive enough for UK DVB?)

Paul Broadwith paul.broadwith at blueivy.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 11:20:51 UTC 2007

On 14/11/2007, Paul Broadwith <paul.broadwith at blueivy.co.uk> wrote:
> I thought I would give people an update on my situation with MythTV
and
> my Avermedia card that I posted about before.
>
> I decided to buy myself a Haupauge Nova-T 500 card to try and get
things
> working and had exactly the same problems I had before with the
> Avermedia cards (couldn't get some channels, poor reception on other
> etc.).
[snip]

> What was your experience like with getting the Nova-T to work - I've
> read many things about this card which seem to suggest that you need
> to mess about with kernel patches and the like, but it seems a very
> popular (and hence available) card at present!

I use MythDora, so I had one problem with it.

I installed it into the already working (ish) box and it did pick it up
okay. The problem I had though was that the force_lna_activation
parameter needed for the card (this turns on the built-in amplifier)
wasn't being enabled automatically by MythDora as it should have
(MythDora placed the option in the video4linux file in the
etc/modprobe.d directory from memory). I had to manually create this.

I took the opportunity to actually rebuild the box and it worked fine
from then on.

If you use another *nix flavour then I'm not sure the mileage you'd get.
I certainly had no problems at all getting the actual card to detect
etc. Very happy with it.

Paul

Blue Ivy Limited is a limited company registered in Scotland.
Registered company number: SC 221649.  Registered VAT number: GB 774 8460 88.
Registered Office: 67 Kelburn Street, Barrhead, Glasgow, G78 1LD

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ?Blue Ivy Ltd?.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.