[mythtv-users] How to connect a FE to a remote BE

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 15 10:36:28 UTC 2007

Hi again,
Ok I did what it said under "Modifying access to the MySQL database for
multiple systems" with respect to restricting to my IP subnet and I also
edited /etc/mysql/my.cnf to change the bind-address IP from 127.0.0.1 to
my server IP.
I restarted the PC (because I couldn't figure out how to restart mysql)
and I tried connecting from the remote front end again. This time the FE
actually took some time before saying fail when I tried to test the
connection.
Is it possible that I don't have a database set up? I followed the
instructions during install to have a separate front end but it doesn't
seem to have configured much for me. How would I find out if I have a
database?

Notes:
      * I can ping both ways
      * the password that I am using is from /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
      * I have allowed access privileges to all on my subnet
      * I cannot connect from my frontend box to my backend's mysqld
        with ay variation of the following ("mysql -h <backend-ip>")