[mythtv-users] Video and Sound Issues

Jay Vanderwood dsinfoteq at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 20:24:50 UTC 2007

I've got two different issues going on, one with sound and one with video. The sound issue is a little easier to define and I've done some research on this list and abroad to try and solve the answers, but had no luck so far. The video issue is difficult to quantify, so I'm not even sure what search terms to use to find possible solutions.

Before I get into the problems, here is my configuration:

Hardware
----------

Intel DQ965GF Micro ATX Motherboard

Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU

2x1G Mushkin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM

XFX GeForce 7600GS 256MB PCIExpress16 Video Card

Monitor (DVI): Dell D1028L

Television (HDMI): Sony KF60-WE610

2x PCHDTV 5500 Capture Cards

WD Caviar 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 Hard Drive

ASUS 18X DVD+-R SATA DVD Burner w/LightScribe

Antec Veris Fusion 430W Silver HTPC Case

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM USB Sound Card

Operating System

------------------

Fedora Core 8 (x86_64)

KDE X-Windows

  100MB	ext3 /boot

  16GB	ext3 /

  2GB	swap

  950GB	xfs  /storage

  SELinux Disabled

  NVidia Linux Drivers v100.14.19 (Installed from NVidia)

  ALSA Sound Driver v1.0.15: USB Audio (Installed by FC8 DVD)

Software
---------

MythTV v0.20.2 (Installed via RPM)

  Configured with MySQL

Providers

  Schedules Direct account active

Cox Cable with Digital and HD channels

Sound Problem: I get sound just fine when I playback video files and when I'm tuned into HD channels. When I try to tune into SD channels, I get video, but no sound.

I've tried to blacklist the cx88-alsa device, which is apparently what the device is named in FC8, but that didn't change the behavior. I've also seen mention of  /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and dvb-core changes, but I don't have either of those files so it is unclear how to use that information.

Video Problem: When I first boot up, if I go to "Watch TV" I can see the video just fine or if I first go to "Watch Videos" I can see the video just fine. However, if I try to switch between them, the video becomes garbled for the rest of the session. Even after exiting out of Mythfrontend and restarting it.

For example, I go to "Watch TV", exit out, go to "Watch Videos", select a DivX video from the browser and the audio plays just fine but the screen is a garbled mash of green with some other colors splashed in. This is a fixed effect until I hit Esc, at which point it goes back to the MythTV menu and displays fine. If I then go to "Watch TV", I get a bunch of static, mostly blue and white.

The only thing that seems to clear up the problem is to reboot the box. This seems a bit overkill and I'm hoping I've just configured something incorrectly.

Thanks for reading,

-Jay