[mythtv-users] OT problem with CIFS and Fedora8

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 16:37:28 UTC 2007

I use CIFS for most of my autofs mounts because if you use nfs mounts... nfs
periodically ( often ) mouts the drives to check on their status...
something like
that... it was weird.... you didn't have to do anything ( that would access an
autofs drive ) and if it was an NFS mount... it would be mounted every
couple of minutes.  If I used CIFS instead... it's only mounted when I
access it.

I have about 4TB of drive storage... I use autofs, cifs, and hdparm to put the
un-used drives to sleep after 5 minutes of in-activity.  When I need data off
of the drives, autofs mouns them and they wake back up.... when I'm done
with them, autofs unmounts them and the go to sleep shortly after... NFS
screwed that up and the drives were constantly going up and down....

CIFS works fine for video storage and playing across the network....

jack