[mythtv-users] deleting from telnet interface

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Mon Nov 12 19:42:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:07:30PM +0000, John Veness wrote:
> Jason Joines wrote:
> >     What I want to do is manage my recordings from a remote low
> > bandwidth connection.  I've tunneled VNC back through SSH but it was too
> > slow to be usable.  Had the same problem with the web interface.
> > However, using the telnet interface was just fine in this regards.
> > Something like an ncurses based frontend would be ideal.
>
> I used ssh to my machine, then lynx (or some other text-based browser)
> to connect to localhost/mythweb one holiday. This was because I went
> away in a hurry and I already knew how to setup a secure ssh connection,
> but didn't know how to setup secure apache open to the world, so this
> was the quickest solution. It was pretty tedious to browse through
> mythweb via a text browser, but it just about worked.

I use this SSH invocation:

ssh -L 2000:mythbox:80 user at gateway

which creates a tunnel such that http://localhost:2000 is
actually the mythbox's port 80.

Coupled with gzip compression, mythweb is pretty usable.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.
Tyranny is something that creeps up on you.

http://tao.merseine.nu:81/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.