[mythtv-users] How to play music/videos (mythvideo/mythmusic) on remote mythfrontend

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 19:50:47 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 12:17 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Videos and music are at first sight frontend based, because they can
> only be managed through frontend plugins. But, they are actually not
> frontend/host based, because every frontend can  see/delete videos
> from the other frontend. It is somehow not consistent, but the reason
> is probably laying in "very early days of Myth development".
>
> M.

If mythvideo accessed video content via the backend, in my opinion, that would
create an even bigger inconsitency, since mythtv allows you to use
external players
rather than the internal player...players that need to see the video as a local
path anyway.  I still prefer to use xine and mplayer for most video.  I use xine
with the tvtime post processing for DVDs.  Speaking of DVDs...I hate to think
what would be involved in playing DVDs via the backend.

Personally, I'll take it just the way it is any day...let plain old
network shares
take care of it.

Tom