[mythtv-users] Mythbackend occasionally upon reschedule

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 00:25:44 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 5:07 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2007 11:18 AM, Steve Skarda wrote:
> > Mythbackend dies roughly 1-2 times a day.  It did this on stable
> > version and continues to do it on SVN trunk.  I am posting the last
> > items in the log on the last several crashes (on latest trunk from
> > mythbuntu weekly builds).  It always ends with reschedule requested.
>
> Are you sure it's the reschedule that crashes it?  Reschedules happen
> quite often, so it's quite possible that was the last thing written to
> the log, then later, mythbackend crashed.
>
> Have you seen it crash immediately after logging the reschedule
> requested message?

Thank you for replying!

Monit runs every 60 seconds.   If I compare the timestamp when Monit first
saw that mythbackend was gone, to the timestamp in the mythbackend log, the
last thing in the log before restart is the reschedule request and it is
typically 20-30 seconds before monit sees that mythbackend is gone.

You have caused me to wonder about something else though.  Monit doesn't say
that process doesn't exist which is what happens if I kill mythbackend.
Rather it says that mythbackend failed HTTP test.

This is what I see in monit log:

[EST Nov 10 09:02:14] error    : HTTP: error receiving data -- Resource
temporarily unavailable
[EST Nov 10 09:02:14] error    : 'mythbackend' failed protocol test [HTTP]
at INET[localhost:6544] via TCP
[EST Nov 10 09:02:15] info     : 'mythbackend' trying to restart
[EST Nov 10 09:02:15] info     : 'mythbackend' stop: /bin/sh
[EST Nov 10 09:02:16] info     : 'mythbackend' start: /bin/sh
[EST Nov 10 09:02:47] info     : 'mythbackend' connection passed to
INET[localhost:6544] via TCP

Maybe I should try to modify my monit monitoring configuration?