[mythtv-users] Does JFS filesystem need defragment?

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Sat Nov 10 16:49:22 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007, at 10:25 AM, Ismo Tanskanen wrote:

> I use JFS file system for myth recordings, because it's ability to
> delete files quickly.
>
> Now I'm wondering, if it needs defragment time to time? Does it? Is
> there any utility to do that?

There is no jfs-defrag util that was ever ported to Linux. Like most
file systems, Yes, JFS can get fragmented and will generally do so if
you run close to the capacity of the disk (80% or more). The obvious
way to resolve the problem is a file-level copy to another drive and
then to reformat. It's quite drastic.

However, that all said, don't worry about it? Unless you're seeing
problems that you expect are caused by fragmentation I would do nothing.

--
Scott