[mythtv-users] Super flakey FireWire capture

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 23:50:24 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 3:27 PM, Ryan Allen <ryan at the-summit.net> wrote:
> Is FireWire generally known to be "rock solid"?  Do I have flaky
> hardware?  What are others experiences recording HDTV with FireWire?

Don't think it is supposed to be rock solid.  I run a script that runs
firewire-tester every half hour (first checking to see if firewire is
being used to capture, and if so, it won't run).  That seems to help a
bit.  Certain channels are better than others, and funny enough, one
broadcast channel seems to never work.

I also think there may be issues with my STB, as it is very flaky with
delivering HD content over component cables to my TV, and again,
certain channels are worse (blocky, loss of sound, etc).  When it does
work, the the myth captures can be better than what is outputted over
component.