[mythtv-users] OT: 13 reasons why Linux won't make it to a desktop near you

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Nov 9 22:38:05 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>

>>       If it were just about free then Dell and Packard Bell could
>> have preloaded Linux (or even something else) a long-long time ago.
>
> Packard Bell ???
>
> I think they went out of the computer biz long before Linux came
> along.

They're still around in Europe, where their product quality was
apparently not quite so abysmal.  Haven't seen anything by them in a
long time in the U.S., though.  They have the dubious honor of one of
the only computer manufacturers I've ever anti-recommended when asked
what kind of computer to buy.  (As in, "Whatever you do, don't buy a
Packard Bell.")  At one time PC World ranked them as having made the
worst PCs of all time.