[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashed, but live tv kept working

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Nov 8 21:16:16 UTC 2007

Hello, i have this issue where mythbackend crashes on me about once a week,
seemingly at random. So i setup a little script to text my cell phone and
email me when it crashes, so i can vnc into my mythbox from work and restart
the backend.

My wife was watching tv, and the backend crashed. I got the text, and vnc'd
into the mythbox, only to see that live tv was still on. In fact, she was
able to change channels too. I go to log into mythweb, and it doesn't work
cause it can't connect to the backend. So how was live tv working?

So i restarted the backend process via ssh, live tv never missed a beat,
just kept working. I go back into mythweb and look at status, and all 4 tv
tuners said not recording. I refreshed that same page about a minute
later...no change. But, about 5 minutes later, i refreshed that same mythweb
status page and the live tv tuner did register. It said tuner 4 was watching
live tv.

Anyone else ever seen this? Any ideas what happened here? I thought that if
the backend went down, so should live tv.
-Steve