[mythtv-users] Comcast Fall attack

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:35:11 UTC 2007

On 11/6/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>
> >> Now, Ive got an analog tuner (pvr150) and Ill probably be switching
> >> soon. We are kinda limited here in Indiana. Wondering what my options
> >> are?
> >
> > Get a digital settop box and drive it with an IR blaster (they cost
> > ~$20 from irblaster.info).  I'm using that set up on my system and it
> > works like a charm, and gives me full access to my entire channel
> > lineup.  Never missed a tune, either.
>
> If you're lucky you might get a set-top box with a serial port, so
> you can skip the IR blaster.  I have one from Comcast and channel
> changes are very reliable -- I have yet to see one miss.  Only
> problem I've had is the audio level from the box is kind of low.  I
> compensated by lowering the audio on my analog tuner to match.

In my area at least, the installers do not have access to those boxes
any more and won't bring them even if you request it.  However, you
can take the one they give you down to the local office and exchange
it for one with a serial port there.  You'll just need to bring some
proof of address along with it.  They may not understand "serial
port", you could try "low speed data port", but more likely you'll
just have to look at the back of the box and see if it's there or not.

Digital != HD so if you're only getting digital and not HD you
shouldn't have to worry and scrambled channels as you're still
recording from composite input or similar.

I use 2 digital boxes, controlled via USB to serial cables (PL2303
chipset) recorded with PVR-250s, and a 3rd 250 connected directly to
the cable which can get any non premium channels < 100.