[mythtv-users] Fwd: Duplicate matching doesn't seem to work

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:40:24 UTC 2007

> Actually, the situation in the UK can be *worse*. There are shows regularly
> broadcast on BBC1/2 which are repeated on BBC3/4 or vice versa, which are
> essentially duplicates for scheduling purposes. However, the descriptions
> provided by RT are quite often different, even if it's only by a word or two
> (I've searched, it can be quite difficult to spot sometimes).
>
> Fortunately the above scenario means you have a choice of recording, most times,
> so doesn't have the impact that Stephen's problem has.
>
> I have attempted to eliminate some of the dups by restricting the matching to
> just Title+Subtitle, but this often just produces "generic" entries which is
> worse. So I usually err on the side of caution and use the eyeball to weed out dups.
>
> Mike Perkins

Just as an aside on listing sources I've recently changed form using
the radiotimes data to using the OTA DVB data.  There seemed to be
quite a few changes going on with which channels were being broadcast
and on which channel number.  So it seemed easier not having to match
up channels to xmltvids and so on.  And it may seem a strange
advantage, but I find that the shorter descriptions from the OTA data
looks better when displayed on the OSD and program guide, sometimes
there was too much information from RT.  Just my opinion.

Stephen