[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun, 2nd NIC and dhcpd bootup issue

Richard deadzone at flashmail.us
Tue Nov 6 05:43:39 UTC 2007

I tried to change the service start order first but both dhcpd and
mythbackend are near the end of the startup sequence. Besides, over
time, changes could affect the start up time and result in
intermittent failures.

I believe Harley made his change in
libs/libmythtv/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_discover.c for his version of mythtv
while I made mine in libs/libmythtv/hdhrchannel.cpp. Perhaps that has
something to do with our difference in results. I've rebooted numerous
times and haven't experienced a problem yet.

In the 0.20.2 version of mythtv that I'm using, the socket timeout is
set to 500 milliseconds (.5 seconds). The initial retry count of 6
gave the device only 3 seconds to respond. When I changed it to 60, I
allowed it up to 30 seconds for it to get an address and respond. You
can set the values as high as you like (as long as it fits in an
'int') with the only risk being it delays the backend startup until it
finds the HDHomeRun -- or doesn't.

I'm running the lastest version of the HDHomeRun firmware 20071015.
The 20070218 version had a change to "Avoid delay in obtaining ip
address by triggering DHCP renew when link is obtained." Perhaps
that's the problem.

I have enough power sucking boxes and transformers around here and I
don't want another unless absolutely necessary. If it wasn't for the
fact that I transfer recorded files over my primary Gigabit NIC, I'd
just throw the HDHomeRun on my home network. Any good network switch
should be non-blocking and only pass traffic from port A to port B
anyway and not to all the other ports (ignoring the little bit of
broadcast traffic).

Richard