[mythtv-users] Comcast Fall attack

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:19:02 UTC 2007

On Nov 5, 2007 9:59 PM, Justin Kim <justinlkim at gmail.com> wrote:
> At 10:28 PM -0500 11/5/07, coffee177 wrote:
> .99 for the same thing."
> >
> >Now, Ive got an analog tuner (pvr150) and Ill probably be switching
> >soon. We are kinda limited here in Indiana. Wondering what my options
> >are?
> >
> >Anyone have comcast and using mythtv digital? Are there alot of channels
> >or are they all encrypted?

Here in Chicago, Comcast "basic extended" has been all digital since I
moved here almost two years ago. I can get precious few stations in
the clear with a PVR-250 -- the local OTA channels, public access, a
few PBS stations that aren't available OTA (at least to me), and home
shopping.

I can pick up more stations off the cable with an HDHomerun than with
a PVR card.

I still record all the cable channels I'm paying for with the PVR card
and IR blaster, but if there were any alternative to Comcast, I'd
probably take it. I rent, and so cannot install satellite, and Comcast
is the only cable provider where I live.

Recording with an IR blaster works pretty much all the time, but
you'll need a separate decoder box and blaster for every input you
want to record.