[mythtv-users] OT: What does Fedora 8 really have to offer?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Nov 5 17:15:56 UTC 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Support [ Ian Ward ] wrote:
> <Flame suit on>
> I'm thinking Ubuntu may be a better option as apt seems much smarter
> than yum.
> Does Ubuntu handle major version upgrades better?

I don't know about Ubuntu, but they're usually pretty easy in
Debian.  I just update /etc/apt/sources.list, do "aptitude update",
then "aptitude dist-upgrade".  You do have to be prepared to answer a
lot of questions about what to do with configuration files you've
edited, but other than that it goes pretty smoothly.

The biggest "gotcha" with Debian is that by default sources.list
lists "stable", not a specific version name.  If you leave it that
way and don't pay close attention when a new release happens, you may
find yourself partially upgrading before you really wanted to.