[mythtv-users] UPnP HD front end?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Nov 5 14:01:23 UTC 2007

I'm considering re-doing my HD Myth system, which is a combined
front/back end displaying to a 1080i HDTV.  I've never been satisfied
with the playback video quality, and I'd love to move the computer
into a closet (making it a backend only), and use some sort appliance
as a front end rather than a computer.  My goals would be to neaten up
the family room, reduce the PC related noise, improve the HD playback
quality, and retain the features of Myth's frontend that I love
(commercial skipping, timestretch).  Is this possible?

Are there any 1080p (or even 1080i) capable appliances which interact well
enough with MythTV to do commercial skipping and timestretch?  From what
I read in the Wiki, I'm not encouraged, but I really hope that I
missed something or the info is out of date.

Thanks,

Drew