[mythtv-users] Watching DVD - Xorg on 100%

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 08:35:15 UTC 2007

Thanks for the help. I think I found the reason, although I don't
understand why this cause X running up to 100%.

DMA got disabled on my DVD drive for some reason. After enabling DMA
and restarting of MythDVD everything was OK.

Still thanks for your help.

M.

2007/11/5, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com>:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007 19:05:05 Ma Begaj wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wanted to watch a DVD which I got yesterday, but the picture
> > freezed every 2-3 seconds for a moment. I checked to logs, but there
> > was nothing special.
> >
> > Then I checked "top" and X was almost on 100%. As soon as I came back
> > to dvd main menu or chapter menu, X was again on 1-2%. DVD contains a
> > few short movies and each of them has/causes the same problem.
> >
> > What could cause this? What does X have to do with DVD watching?
>
> X handles the output that MythTV generates, at least in most situations.
> (Using a PVR-350's TV output would be one exception.) Thus, X must consume
> some CPU time to process this output. Normally X won't peg the CPU use at
> 100%, though. I don't know offhand what specifically might cause this, but I
> have seen variation in X's CPU load when playing different types of data.
>
> I doubt if I'll be able to provide more specific help; however, you'll greatly
> increase your chances of somebody being able to help if you can provide some
> additional information:
>
> 1) What video card (or other output method) are you using?
>
> 2) What driver and driver version are you using for your video card?
>
> 3) What's your output device? (Computer monitor, NTSC TV, PAL TV, digital
>    TV [and if so, what format]?)
>
> 4) What are your video settings? (Resolution, bit depth, refresh rate,
>    etc.)
>
> 5) What version of MythTV are you running?
>
> 6) What's the title of the DVD that's giving you problems, and for what
>    region was it marketed?
>
> --
> Rod Smith
> http://www.rodsbooks.com

Glauben heißt nicht wissen wollen, was wahr ist ... Nietzsche