[mythtv-users] Feature request: upcoming recordings disk usage

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Sun Nov 4 16:10:44 UTC 2007

Preston Crow wrote:
> It would be really nice if the upcoming recording screen would warn
> about running out of disk space.  If Myth knew the bitrate for each
> show, this would be easy.  For shows encoded locally, that's easy.  For
> digital shows (e.g., QAM and ATSC), it would require tracking an average
> bitrate for shows previously recorded on that channel, which seems like
> a relatively easy thing to track.
>
> It would be an estimate, but it should be good enough to be helpful.

I agree this would be a nice feature, especially for those of us who are
limited on storage. (I think) I've noticed that for digital stuff, at
least in the UK, the bitrate on a particular channel varies depending on
the show, and so to give a more accurate estimate you would have to
track bitrates per channel per show, not just per channel. This might
make things trickier. Maybe I'm wrong in my observation...

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T