[mythtv-users] OT: What does Fedora 8 really have to offer?

Marvin Match match at ece.utah.edu
Sun Nov 4 00:45:03 UTC 2007

On 3 Nov 2007 at 16:43, Peter Loron wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 17:11 -0600, Marvin Match wrote:
> > On 3 Nov 2007 at 9:16, Marc Barrett wrote:
> >
> > > I've considered rebuilding my MythTV installation based on a
> > > new installation of Fedora 8, but I am starting to wonder what
> > > that release really has to offer.  Arguably what was supposed
> > > to be the biggest feature of this release -- KDE 4 -- was
> > > stripped out and pushed back to Fedora 9.  So I am
> > > thinking of just sticking with Fedora 7 for now, and waiting
> > > for Fedora 9 to rebuild my installation.
> > >
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > I would have to say that if Fedora 7 is working OK for you, why
> > upgrade at all? But:
> >
> > I've used Core 4 since it was current. Now Axel has removed support
> > for it on the ATrpms repository, so to upgrade to the latest MythTV
> > easily, and to get OS updates from Fedora I need to use something
> > current. (yeah, that's an overstatement, but clearly it's time)
> >
> > Core 6 will be the next to fall off the map so that's not a good
> > choice, leaving 7 and 8 as the only reasonable Fedora choices today.
> >
> > So, I'll go with Fedora 8 for any system I'll build now, not because
> > it has anything in it that makes it better for MythTV, but because it
> > will continue to be supported for longer than any other flavor of
> > Fedora that is available today.
> >
> > In your case, unless there is some other reason to upgrade,
> > personally I'd wait for 9.
> >
> > Marvin
>
> Why not switch over to CentOS 5? Much longer support window than the FC
> series.
>
> -Pete

Well Pete, that might be a good idea and in fact there's a lot of
talk on the MythDora list about moving to CentOS for this very
reason, but the versions of the apps in CentOS 5 look to me to be
about where Fedora Core 6 was, making it a downgrade from Fedora 7
(another overstatement, I know) so once again I think the best advice
for Marc is to stay with Fedora 7.

Disclaimer: I don't run CentOS, so I don't know what you'd end up
with after a system upgrade. If an upgrade just after an install gets
you to mostly current stuff, then the above would not apply.

Either way, that wasn't what Marc asked about. His question was
specifically Fedora 8 now, or stay with Fedora 7 and wait for Fedora
9.

Clearly I need to have a look at CentOS 5, especially since every
Fedora release as of late seems to have some built-in goofyness in
the installer. (7.92 won't install on my nForce 4 Athlon 64 system
because it balks when trying to load the PATA driver... how silly is
that? GRRR!!)

Marvin