[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sat Nov 3 14:26:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 19:38 -0600, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2007 6:54 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > (Of course my real complaint is that I'm one of those who never keeps
> > receipts, so I lose out here :-)
>
> IIRC, all you need are the drives' serial numbers, not the proof of
> purchse.

Either way, this is a case where the lawyers make a bundle at the
expense of the company being sued. The fact that our legal system allows
this (no "loser pays" system like they have in England) is the reason
why we have such ridiculous lawsuits (and this is far from the worst
we've seen).

The fact is, I probably did buy one or more Seagate drives during this
time period. But the reality is that I have no idea which drives those
are or even which machines they are in, and even if I did, we're talking
5% per drive, perhaps $10-$20. It's not even worth the time it would
take me to open up the machines to record the serial numbers. So this is
another case where they can advertise a huge payout by the defendant
(thus encouraging more similar lawsuits) that doesn't actually happen.
In reality, the vast majority of money paid in this case will go to
lawyers.

--Greg