[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 01:38:39 UTC 2007

On Nov 2, 2007 6:54 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> (Of course my real complaint is that I'm one of those who never keeps
> receipts, so I lose out here :-)

IIRC, all you need are the drives' serial numbers, not the proof of
purchse. I could be wrong, of course.

I think the people who filed suit are akin to the idiots who blamed
cigarette companies for their illnesses, when cigarettes have had
warnings on the packages since the 1960s, and were known to be bad for
the health long before then ("coffin nails" being a popular euphemism
in the 1920s).

Those 500 gig drives DO hold 500,000,000,000 bytes - you're just using
a different definition of "gigabyte" (2^30 instead of 10^9). IMHO it
wasn't worth a lawsuit (except possibly to the attorneys, who I'm sure
will reap millions), and I won't be submitting the serial numbers of
all of my Seagate drives.

Calvin