[mythtv-users] Migrating RAID

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Nov 2 01:57:55 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
>> I'm always kind of leery about buying used tape drives, because
>> they're such cantankerous devices.  You really, really want a
>> warranty when you get a tape drive.
>>
> The problem here is for a home user is at that your tape drive will
> either be too small where the media costs way more than hard drives or
> the tape drive will cost more than the machine it is backing up.
>
> I have a VXA-1 drive that I bought years ago for around $600 that sits
> on a shelf because at 33GB / tape I find the tapes too expensive to
> backup my data although 75% of this is from MythTV and I guess I am ok
> if I loose some of my shows.

Well, I'm not really worried about the shows....  They'll come around
again.  It's only TV, after all.

My VXA-1 is used to back up the 6 GB of family pics and mysql database
that makes up my family website/album.

That's irreplaceable.

Of course I have multiple levels of backup, including waaay off site backup.

(Commercial plug: I also do commercial backups for businesses, so it
would be bad if I lost my stuff.)

--
  o__

Linux stuff has made big progress over the competition. When things sit and don't start right away, we have a watch, and those poor guys have to settle for an hourglass.