[mythtv-users] Move to LiveTv group instead of deleting

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:16:20 UTC 2007

On 11/1/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> There is an option when using latest code from svn head to
> automatically move the recordings to a Deleted group which is then
> expired before the others.

I tried the moving to Deleted group feature for awhile but found I
didn't like it.  With this option enabled your recording disks
completely fill up and the autoexpirer removes recordings almost every
time you record something new.  I'm used to frequently checking the
free space on my disks and if I am running low check the autoexpire
list to make sure the correct stuff will be deleted.  With this
feature enabled the deleted shows are always on the expire list and
it's hard to tell when or if a show I care about will autoexpire.
It's an uncomfortable feeling to see expire messages for your wife's
favorite shows...

I also noticed it doesn't expire the deleted shows in the order I put
them in there.  It seems to delete the shows you put in there recently
and leaves the really old stuff in there the longest (or maybe it is
random.. not sure).  It seems it should really work the opposite of
that.  I am more likely to want to recover a recording I deleted
recently than one from three months ago.

Some possible improvements:
1) Expire shows Deleted group in FIFO order
2) An option to force expiration of Deleted items after X days
3) A summary of how much storage in the Deleted group along with a
listing of the autoexpire list without the Deleted so we can easily
gauge the likelihood on a non-Deleted show expiring.

Moving to Deleted is a good idea but I think I am too much of a
control freak to use it as it is now.  Anyone else having trouble
getting comfortable with this?